Accra, Ghana – On Sunday, August 7, 2022, thirteen remarkable women from diverse fields were celebrated at the 7th edition of the Ghana Women of the Year Honours which took place at the Kempinksi Hotel Gold Coast City Accra.
The Ghana Women of the Year Honours kickstarted with the She Summit Africa Mentorship and Leadership series (CEOs Breakfast Meeting).
The She Summit (Mentorship seminar) themed, “Breaking the Bias; Leading by Example for a Sustainable Tomorrow” held its maiden edition in Kumasi on the campus of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST). Speakers at the event included actress and TV personality, Nana Ama McBrown, General Manager of GhOne TV, Nana Aba Anamoah, CEO of Peace and Love Hospital, Dr. Beatrice Wiafe Addai, Dr. Mercy Badu, Senior Lecturer at the department of Chemistry, KNUST and Founder of Glitz Africa magazine, Claudia Lumor. It was hosted by Anita Kuma Assistant Registrar, Department of University Relations, KNUST.
The Accra edition of the She Summit under the same theme had American coach, author and philanthropist Dr. Chanita Foster as the key note speaker. Other speakers included; Dr. Nadia Adongo Musah (Deputy Director, Diaspora Affairs, Office of the President), Rosy Fynn (Country Head, Mastercard Foundation Ghana), Pearl Nkrumah (Executive Director, Retail and Digital Banking, Access Bank), Doreen Andoh (radio personality), Dzifa Bampoh (Corporate Communications Manager, GRIDco). Akosua Manu (Deputy CEO, National Youth Authority) served as a panel moderator and the summit hosted by TV personality, Natalie Fort. The event took place at the Ecobank headquarters at Ridge, Accra.
The CEOs Breakfast Meeting hosted by the Regional Manager, Corporate Affairs and Stakeholder Engagement, Gold Fields, Emma Morrison was themed, “Centered Leadership: Moving with Purpose, Clarity and Impact.”’ The welcome address was delivered by the Mayor of Accra, Elizabeth Sackey.
Speakers included: Hon. Nana Ama Dokua Asiamah-Adjei (Deputy Minister, Trade & Industry), Dr. Kate Quartey-Papafio (CEO, Reroy Cables), Abibata Shaani Mahama Zakariah (CEO, MASLOC), H.E. Anne Sophie AVE (French Ambassador to Ghana), H.E. Dr. Aisa Kirabo Kacyira (Rwandan High Commissioner to Ghana) and Fatoumata Doro (MD, Vlisco Ghana).
The Honours gala was hosted by media personality Naa Ashorkor Mensah-Doku. The Chief of Staff and patron of the Honours scheme, Hon. Frema Osei-Opare delivered the welcome address. The categories honoured on the night included Business, Health, Humanitarianism, Music, Public Service, Governance, Media among others. The full list of honourees are as follows:
- Corporate Personality – Abena Amoah (Deputy MD, Ghana Stock Exchange)
- Excellence in Business – Esther Cobbah (CEO, Stratcomm Africa)
- Humanitarian of the Year – Dr. Otiko Afisah Djaba (Executive Director, Henry Djaba Memorial Foundation)
- Excellence in Public Service – Alice A. Ofori-Atta (MD, TDC Development Company)
- Excellence in Education – Prof. Jane Naana Agyemang (Former minister of education)
- Excellence in Health – Prof Lorna Awo Renner (Head of the Paediatric Oncology Unit, Korle Bu Teaching Hospital & Lecturer)
- Excellence in Media – Oheneyere Gifty Anti (Media personality)
- Lifetime Achievement – Hon. Gifty Affenyi Dadzie (Media veteran, National Prayer Director, Aglow Ministry).
- Excellence in Governance – Hon. Ursula Owusu-Ekuful (Minister for Communications and Digitalisation)
- Young Star – Gyakie (musician)
- Excellence in Music – Ohemaa Mercy (musician)
- Fashion Force – Aisha Ayensu (Fashion designer)
- Excellence in Technology – Regina Honu (CEO, Soronko Academy)
Award presenters included Hon. Frema Opare, Charles Mensah, Kojo Yankson, Dzifa Bampoh, Kofi Okyere Darko, Albert Dwumfour, Nana Aba Anamoah, MOG, Diana Hopeson and Dr. Chanita Foster.
As part of this year’s Honours event, Glitz Africa embarked on a social campaign against domestic violence with the slogan: Walk Out Alive. Messages from various personalities such as Anita Kuma, Nana Aba Anamoah, Nana Ama McBrown, Claudia Lumor were played at the event.
A special recognition award was also presented to Access W for their capacity building, mentoring and support programmes for women. The award was presented by the Board Chair of the Ghana Women of the Year Honours, Mr. Charles Mensah to the Executive Director, Retail and Digital Banking, Access Bank, Pearl Ama Nkrumah.
Partners of the Ghana Women of the Year were: Veuve Cliquot, Standard Chartered Bank, Access Bank, CBG, Ghandour Cosmetics, Verna, Africa World Airlines, Sunlight, Goil Ghana, ECG. Supporting partners included: Capture 360 Ghana, Garnier, Ghandour Cosmetics, Skin Gourmet, Selina Beb, Kaydua, Shea Laam, Sunlight, Nestle, Glitz Africa magazine.
Media partners were: Citi Fm, Citi TV, Ghana Weekend, B&FT, Ameyaw Debrah and Ytainment Podcast.