This occurs when the fallopian tubes are blocked by infection or inflammation. The result is that the sperm cannot meet the egg.
The patency of the tubes is assessed by a series of procedures, namely;
- Hysterosalpingogram (using a dye and an X-ray saline);
- Hysterosonogram (using saline and an ultrasound);
- HyCoSy (using a special fluid with bubbles);
- Ultrasound Laparoscopy (putting a camera in the belly button to see the tubes);
- and Transvaginal Hydrolaparoscopy (putting a camera through the vagina to see the tubes).
The only effective solution is In vitro fertilisation where the eggs are taken from the woman and combined with the sperm and the resulting baby is inserted into the womb.
Written by: Dr. Padi Ayertey MB,ChB. FWACS
Resolve Medical Services
Source: Glitz Africa Magazine issue 19